‘Sorry where are you calling from?’ is a question I get asked daily being a recruiter who works from Tobermory, Isle of Mull. Even now where self-driving cars are close to market, robots may replace workers and people have a new family addition called ‘Alexa’, people still can’t quite believe when I tell them you can work from an island on the west coast of Scotland.
Due to the advances in technology, working from just about anywhere is now a real possibility for many. I grew up believing that they only way you could have a career in business was by relocating to the mainland or starting up your own business. I have learned over the years that doesn’t need to be the case and there are so many benefits to it as well. Just a few of them include:
- I live in a STUNNING part of the world (just a snapshot below)
- My morning commute takes exactly 3.5 minutes
- I have many outdoor adventures right on my doorstep
- It is part of my heritage and I have a great community around me
When people understand the above, their reply is one of two things, either:
- how lucky I am to be able to do what I do from this location or
- that they couldn’t think of anything worse than being trapped on an island that has limited shops and no Costa (other coffee retailers are available)
Whether island life is or isn’t for you, I hope that reading the above has made you stop and think that perhaps you could make a change; maybe you should have a chat with your boss about a different working pattern/location. The reason why I hope you do this, is because of the sad fact that we spend the majority of our time at work so be somewhere you love.